Old 12-03-21, 09:42 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I had to read some recent descriptions of the Rosarito-Ensenada to refresh my memory, and, sure nuff, they do describe a couple of sorta steep-ish hills a couplafew hundred yards in length. I barely remember any hills.

Although I do remember Bill Walton steadily chugging past me on a hill, riding his ridiculously tall bike. That was the season he was mostly recuperating from injuries and surgeries while he was with the Clippers. I didn't want to be an annoying fanboy so I didn't say anything, but I remember being impressed by how well he climbed for such a big guy.

But that's the difference between being 64 now and, back then, 20something in top physical fitness. I also played a lot of racquetball (because Southern California in the 1970s, natch), boxed amateur (not a sport to be approached casually, since the consequences of doing it badly are never casual), and cycling around 100 miles a week between commuting and recreational riding. So I didn't notice hills that would leave me huffing and puffing now, even though I work harder now to retain a semblance of fitness.

Now that I think about it, there were some steep hills around San Diego that taxed my abilities, even by the standards of my peak fitness years. I remember one particular climb along my usual commute that I *thought* was climbing at a pretty good clip. But one morning a fellow blew by me looking like he was just casually loafing up that double digit grade. He was more muscular and heavier, while I was built like a climber (5'11", 140 lbs back then) -- but I never really had a climber's lungs (some lung scarring from bouts with pneumonia as a kid).

But I've learned over the years that the muscular guys built like sprinters often do very well on short, steep climbs, although they'll slow down on steep climbs after about 1/4 mile, so if I persist I'll catch up and occasionally pass them even now in my 60s when I still keep my weight around 150. One local roadie group I've ridden with includes a former Olympic level sprinter who's still a phenomenal natural athlete, although he's at least 75 lbs over his optimal weight, maybe even 100 lbs overweight. But he's only in his 40s or 50s, hard to tell because he has that ageless kind of appearance. He'll fly by me on most short, steep climbs, but if the climb is continuous longer than 400 yards I'll catch him. But he still has incredible recuperative ability from years of sprints and interval work, so it takes him less than 30 seconds to get infinite second winds. What, me jealous? Yup. Dang right.
Bill Walton was an all star NBA player and dominated college basketball at UCLA.
He is also an avid cyclist an has a custom Holland bike with a Greatful Dead paint job.
Joe Bell painting is also done Holland shop, some of the best bike paint jobs.
Bill would be a good draft, Id love to ride his side and chat some miles.

Here is another thread where I posted some pictures and more details on Bill Walton's bike and paintjob https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...l#post22293544

Last edited by joesch; 12-04-21 at 08:08 AM.