Thread: Rear Rack
View Single Post
Old 06-19-22, 06:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
I have Surly Nice rack on my Jones Plus, It is big and wide and heavy. It may not suit everybody.
A friend that toured alot in south East Asia a few years back said that no-name aluminum racks constantly failed him and he had trouble sourcing name brand quality racks at the time.
I used Surly racks front and rear on my first tour. The front Surly rack was donated to charity and replaced with a (discontinued) Tubus Ergo. The rear Surly rack is used for around town on my heavy duty touring bike, but I remove it and put on the Tubus Logo EVO for touring. The two positive things I can say on the Surly rear rack is (1) really wide platform, and (2) adjustable rack height. Adjustable height is rare.

Several years ago a neighbor put an 1980s bike out in the garbage, I picked it up and have it on my indoor trainer. That had a REALLY cheap aluminum rack. The photo below shows the poor quality welds that I would expect to fail if there was much weight on the rack. I do not recall if I donated that rack to charity or put it in the recycle bin, but I am not using it.