BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
lol I recall the VT100 ... PDP11 ... 11-34 ? ... 11-70 ? ... (?)

one of the first systems I was on was a PDP something ... maybe PDP11 ... then maybe VAX 11 / 780 or something like that (?) ... Prime ... 750 (?) ...

this was prior to IBM mainframe ... although we still had DEC machines at locations

guy I worked with was going for PhD at the time - he was on a Cray ... XMP ... YMP ... something like that (?) ... it was the fastest computer on the earth at the time ... there were two in existence
My lab had a PDP-8, then a PDP 8e (see photo), then a PDP-11 by the time I left. Absolutely riveting experience at the time when you consider the only contact most mortals had with a computer was through punchcards and a mainframe. The PDP machines brought a powerful computing device right into your own work environment. Much of my non-mainframe programming background was with these DEC machines, it was so much fun to occasionally program little routines to do fun, stupid stuff.