View Single Post
Old 11-27-22, 01:23 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
While I was riding this morning, on the creakvelo, I started thinking about how I would change the shifting cables when the time comes. I have never done this before and the RD cable goes into the frame. I was thinking I could unfasten the cable from the rear derailer and shifter, pull the cable out of the housing, sliding fishing wire through the housing so it is sticking out of both sides. Then pull the cable housing out leaving the fishing line behind, slide the new housing over the fishing line, pull the fishing line out and then insert the new cable.

Im sure I could have youtubed, but this is what I came up with on todays ride. Sounds like it should work. Thoughts?
You can try. I have done this with thread and about 50/50 success rate. Many people use a high powered magnet to help fish the cable through (Park Tool even makes one). Some frames have an actual internal housing which would make the job super easy, but unclear if your bike has that. If so, you are lucky!