View Single Post
Old 11-18-22, 07:02 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
1985 Royal Blue Vitus 979 Time Capsule

Several years ago, I purchased this lightweight bike as part of a package from a relative of the first owner who was acting as the executor for the owner's estate. I have cleaned up the bike, made some minor adjustments, etc. but have not changed any components except for the tires and believe that the bike remains original to the owner who enjoyed riding it in the 1980s. Because the bike is 58cm, it is too small for me so I have not ridden it. I would like to sell this Vitus but seek feedback from the community on what would be a fair price knowing that prices can vary depending on market location. I reside in Northern CA within easy driving distance of both San Francisco and Sacramento.

Attached are some photos but I have to admit that taking good photos is an art and one that I'm woefully inexperienced in. I've captured as much info about the bike and listed it below. I also have info on the original owner and will share it with the buyer if he/she is interested in that sort of thing.

Info on this Vitus:
Weight: 20 lbs, 6 oz with Specialized Turbo tires but without Silca frame pump.
Frame Serial #: E070583 (manufactured July 1985 and frame # 583)
Cinelli Giro D’Italia 64-38 bars with original Ciclolinea bar tape
Concour Comfort Saddle
SR Laprade Saddle Post
Shimano 600 Head Set
Shimano 600 Brake Set (left hood shows wear and signs of disintegration)
Shimano 105 Shifters
CLB Bottom Bracket Shell marked BSC
Campagnolo NR Front Derailleur
Shimano 600 SIS Rear Derailleur
Shimano 600 Brakepads and Gear Cables
Ofmega Super Competition Crankset with 52 and 42 tooth rings
Look Arc Delta pedals
Sachs Maillard 7 Speed Free Wheel (13-15-17-19-21-23-26)
Matching Silver Silca pump with Campy head – very good pressure

Matching Mavic MA2 700C Wheels laced with double-butted stainless spokes (wheels are “Performance Custom Quality” numbered 024634 and 024632).
Suntour Cyclone Sealed Bearing 36 hole hubs front and rear.
Mounted tires are Pasela Panaracer 700x28C however, I can provide the tires that came with the bike - Specialized Turbo R 700x25C. The tires hold air but should be replaced.
Includes one bottle cage on down tube but also bosses on seat tube for another.

Stem and saddle post can be easily removed.

Very small scratches on frame and seat stays that are only noticeable about 2 feet away. Some visible oxidation on Suntour hubs. Dural 979 decals in excellent condition but Vitus top tube decals are deteriorating. Will provide two new replacement Vitus decals for installation by buyer. Seat post clamp is “eared” with a rounded set screw to fit two holes in SR Laprade saddle post. This bicycle was built and sold before the seat post clamp was modified to use a “grub screw.”

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Tough day for photos - strong winds and lots of leaves and debris dropping.

Have replacement Vitus decals for Top Tube (pinned to wall under the tube). The Panaracer tires, 700x28, just clear the seat tube and stays.

Really like the crankset but clearly the pedals are out of date!

Shifts easily.

Saddle post clamp is eared and the owner drilled a small hole to secure saddle post with a screw. I have a grub screw available.