View Single Post
Old 11-29-22, 09:13 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I hope that you'll be able to take some time to visit some interesting places you'll be near. I looked at your planned route, and you'll be in or very close to some places I've visited and enjoyed. Just outside of Papantla in Veracruz state, there is an impressive archeological site called El Tajin.

South of the city of Veracruz (which is nice. Make sure you walk around in the evening to see all of the street musicians and people dancing), there's a small town called Tlacotalpan, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Further south and east is the Laguna de Catemaco, a large freshwater lake near the sea. There is a large nature preserve on the east side of the lake and there are boats to it from the town of Catemaco. The boats go right past an island where Asian macaque monkeys were introduced, which are easy to see. There are also native spider monkeys.

I haven't been to Tabasco state but there are supposedly some impressive Olmec sites there.

I doubt you'll have cool temperatures except possibly the first few nights near southern Texas. You'll be at low elevations and heat will be a bigger problem than cold. I had some very cold temperatures in January in Zacatecas, but that's high in the mountains.(2460m 8,000 feet). It was warm both times I was in lowland Veracruz state in January/February.