Old 05-26-21, 01:04 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Was about 1/2 mile from home last night when I head a "POP!" and then sunk down about an inch in my saddle. Turns out the tensioner bolt on my Brooks saddle sheared in half. I hadn't adjusted this bolt since the saddle was new last June so I doubt it was overtensioned. The saddle has about 2,000 miles on it. From my online research it looks like the bolts from the more recently manufactured saddles are of dubious quality. It's not a normal bolt so I can't just go down to the hardware store and buy another one. The Brooks website says to contact the entity from where you bought the saddle for warranty claims, so I submitted a request via the seller's website in the UK. Frankly I'm half expecting the seller to tell me to contact Brooks, so I may wind up either trying to find a tensioner bolt on my own, or cobbling something together.
FWIW, I snapped a tensioner bolt about a year ago. I found a new bolt, but the leather had shrunk or relaxed to the point I couldn't get the new one in. Grr.

I had a spare bolt and nut in the garage -- 2.5-3" long, about 5/16". Jammed the bolt into the nose with the nut screwed way in, and then unscrewed the nut to tension the thing. About 9 months later, found the official tensioner bolt and nut, and after taking the 5/16" bolt out, I was able to prise the saddle enough to put the "real" one in. You better believe there's grease on the new bolt!