Old 06-19-21, 10:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Skip the clipless pedals and anything that feels like pressure to suit up. Pick one bike that you can just hop on anytime, wearing anything, and ride around the block. Once you get started and warmed up, keep riding if you feel like it. Otherwise, any exercise is better than none.

I enjoy my road bikes and ride them often. But sometimes the ritual of suiting up -- clipless shoes, shorts or bibs, jersey, etc. -- causes me to hesitate. The whole ritual can take an hour, between dressing, rigging up the cameras (I never ride without video cameras, after being hit by negligent drivers too many times), lights in case I'm out after dark or starting early, enough water and snacks to last me for a 2-5 hour ride, etc. The entire road bike experience can turn into a religious experience, cult, job or chore if we let it. I've been doing it on and off since the 1970s and it's always been like that.

Some days I'd rather go for a walk or jog than suit up for the road bikes. I'll just wear whatever t-shirt I'm wearing, pull on some shorts and go. I almost always wear adidas, Under Armour or comparable running shoes, so I'm pretty much always suited up for a walk around the block, and maybe a little jogging if I feel like it.

So I have one hybrid I really enjoy riding, an early '90s Univega hybridized mountain bike (I replaced the original flat bar with a Nitto Albatross swept bar and bar-end shifters). Comfy saddle so I don't need padded shorts. Big iSSi Thump platform pedals that grip pretty much any shoes. Doesn't matter what I'm wearing, as long as it's suitable for the weather.

A few months ago I bought some Atreyu running shoes from a little startup company in Austin, mostly advertising by word of mouth among runners. Turns out they're great for cycling with platform pedals. The shoes look and feel a bit like old school Keds or Converse sneakers, but with better fit, arch support and soles for running. And they weigh practically nothing, like 6 ounces each. Yet they're less fussy than some running shoes and feel great for jogging, walking or bike rides. So when I know I want to do something outdoors but haven't decided what, I'll pull on those shoes, have coffee, eat a bit and decide whether to walk, jog or ride the bike. I'm already "suited up" just wearing the shoes, a t-shirt and shorts.

I also put heavy duty puncture resistant tires and tubes on the hybrid so it's less likely a casual ride will turn into an unpleasant chore. And on my heavier comfort hybrid I use massively puncture resistant Michelin Protek Cross Max tires, heavy duty tubes and gooey liquid sealant inside the tubes, so I'm less likely to need a flat repair kit.
Likes For canklecat: