View Single Post
Old 01-08-22, 06:27 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I think we're softer, bigger and infected with a false pride about occasionally walking up a hill. I've done a short tour on a Koga Miyata Cityliner, in the same class as a Miyata 1000. It was way to whippy with 330 pounds of bike, me and gear on the tires. The bike was set up with 3x7 gearing with rapid fire shifters and 38-40mm tires. I rebuilt a set of veteran Jandd bags, and adapted them to Tubus racks. It rode much better with less over all weight carried and the heavy stuff in the front panniers.

I've taken a Trek 728 on a unloaded joy ride and it had a nice springy ride with 230 pounds of me in the saddle, I'm not sure how it would handle another 40 pounds of gear, or the extra 20 pounds of Covid weight. This bike has Bruce Gordon racks and bags, but needs a a bunch of work and paint, so it waits.

I also have a very clean Bridgestone T700 with racks and a full set of Rhode Gear bags. I haven't ridden this one yet but, this is the one for "playing dress up" . Im not sure about the head bands and cut offs, but I do have a bunch of vintage camping gear, so I'm sure I could entertain my self for a long weekend "reenacting" Funny thing though, my misspent youth found me living out of a backpack, and the bulk of my "kit" was from the 30's to 50's. So all this 80's stuff is solidly in the stuff I was aware of as a kid, but would never be in the "handmedown" supply chain. But maybe my kid will be taking a 50 year old bike across country.

Next time I try a loaded tour it will be on a mid 90's T700 Cannondale frame. Touring was deprioritized with Covid. I haven't built it up yet, but it will have some sort of Shimano 3x7 index/friction drive train, perhaps with a 94/58 bcd crank. It looks like I'll be running 35mm tires on this bike, which is not as nice as a squishy 40mm, but an improvement over a 27x1 1/4 "vintage" wheelset. I've got a new dynamo wheel set and lights sourced. The Tubus racks from the Miyata will swap over and will hold a set of Ortlieb luggage. Over all this bike is an attempt to put together a functional machine that combines a bunch of "peak" technologies. A big part of the "vintage charm" was the initial $50 buy in for the frame and parts.

Last edited by bark_eater; 01-08-22 at 06:38 AM.