View Single Post
Old 09-21-22, 08:10 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I got a motel room one night during my recent tour. The forecast was for 90% chance of rain starting at 4 a.m. and lasting into early afternoon. I did not want to have to make coffee and pack up in the rain at an unfamiliar campground. Didn;t know if there was a pavilion there. Sure enough, when I got up at 5 and went to the lobby for coffee it was raining pretty good.

Riding in the rain isn't necessarily bad. Packing in rain is. When you end the day, everything is usually still wet.
My ex and I toured around Oregon, 600+ miles in 9 days and it rained nearly every day. The rain was usually short duration and we were able to see it coming and find shelter and wait it out, or the rain came after we got to out motel.

One day we saw the black cloud coming and we found an overpass, the only shelter around, and we just got sprinkled on a tiny bit. A lady in a pick up truck stopped and offered to drive us to our motel and we accepted. It was raining so hard everything got soaked as if we had dunked our bikes in a lake. We had no dry clothes to put on, even our cash was wet. We should have just waited for the rain to pass.

Another day we rode into Grant's Pass before the rain. I remember lightning and thunder and hard rain and the car in the parking lot with it's sunroof wide open.