Old 03-29-09, 10:50 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
edit: I see that is an Amtrak train- the "Lake Shore Limited". How accommodating was that train to a cyclist? Did you need to box your bike? If that train is "bike friendly" that could be great for me.
you have to box your bike and check it in as luggage. Not ideal, but I didn't mind it, and the station keepers at Springfield allowed me to leave the box in the station and reuse it on the return trip, so that I wouldn't have to pay the fee twice over.

I will post, as a warning, that the return train from Boston is notoriously late since it's frequently delayed by freight traffic using the same lines. Usually, I've only made train travel work by basing an entire weekend around it. (ie. take time off from work on Friday afternoon, arrive in Springfield friday night, ride on Saturday, return late Sunday).

Also, as an additional caveat to folks contemplating taking the train to Springfield and riding to Westfield, avoid Rt. 20. That road is a nasty piece of work (and this coming from a guy who commutes into Post Office Square on a daily basis), it adds a few miles to the journey, but it's much easier to just detour south via 147, Springfield St. and 57, then come into Westfield through N. Longyard and Shaker Rd.