Old 08-24-22, 05:50 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
That reinforces my suspicions. I had hoped someone with resources like old catalogs, etc., might show exactly what a Gran Sport was.

Snip . . .

Interesting guess; going from 27" to 700C might provide for 'improved' tire clearances. I do have two wheels here with 700x30's I could test fit.

Reynolds decals mention 531 Butted frame tubes, and also 531 decals on forks. Would Raleigh do main tubes and forks but not rear triangle?
Reynolds main tubes and hi tensile fork and stays was not uncommon BITD. There are a few bikes I can think of with Reynolds main tubes and fork. I assume those bikes have a hi tensile rear triangle; otherwise the manufacturer would have used a different Reynolds sticker showing that the entire bike was made out of Reynolds, right?

I'll bet you can fit a 35c tire on that bike even if 38c might not work. I have my '73 Motobecane Grand Record (also Reynolds main tubes and fork and likely hi tensile steel rear triangle) set up with 35c tires and wide ranging gearing (50/36 crank and 14-28 freewheel) to run on rough roads and gravel.

Likes For bikemig: