Old 01-19-23, 11:37 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by vonfilm

I met a lot of wealthy people during my career. Those that made their own fortunes inevitably wanted a very good deal and struck a hard bargain. A lot of these folks purchased used to avoid a lot of depreciation. Those that inherited wealth would easily part with full price and trade frequently for the latest thing, losing a lot of money with every transaction.
Riding with road bike clubs in the L.A. area I have met some wealthy people I never would have otherwise. Some of them have been among the warmest, most generous people I've known.
A couple met in the club and one of the wealthier men paid for their wedding and reception. He also spent considerable money on his bikes.
Another offered to pay rent and expenses for a rider who was injured even though he didn't know him very well. This is the guy who sold his bikes when they were near new to other club members for around half price.
He bought a Pinarello of some flavor for about $12K when it first came out. He liked it so much he went back and got another in a different color.

Some people with money are ok with spending some of it. Bicycles are cheap to some people.
Likes For big john: