burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Short segments have variables that can make a "big" difference to the time. I went for a 3.5-min climb segment last night and pulled the ripcord a little over halfway through because of a slight headwind that I thought was going to abate but didn't.. At those speeds the difference between a 5 mph headwind and calm conditions would be 45W (for me), and that's worth about half a minute. The entire leaderboard is separated by 39 seconds, so why bother. When you get into 1-minute stuff a small change in the wind can be the difference between a crown and not even making the leader board. I've abandoned attempts on sprints because there were three cars coming in the opposite direction and I knew I'd be eating their wind for ~5 seconds.

That being said, I adore 1-min segs. There's just something about tapping into primal energy and "crossing the line" breathing through your vocal chords unable to think about anything but getting MORE AIR.
It’s still fun. Yeah. I play the wind game also, like everyone.

My local edge is that I can for stuff over 45sec get within 50w of my road bike power on the TT bike. Like racing kilo. I get a runup, sprint out of TT a few seconds then settle into the skis.

That’s what I meant I guess. I bag some of them on over 75w less.

That thing is stupid fast given any power input to it.