View Single Post
Old 11-05-22, 11:20 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Depends also on whether or not you need superior puncture resistance. On my touring bike, I wanted the best puncture resistance I could find that didn't weigh a ton, the best one puncture resistant tire on the market is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour which is considered to be flatless, and could last 8,000 miles, but the darn thing weighs just over 1,000 grams a piece! So I went with the Schwalbe Almotion tire, still not a light tire at 600 grams, although the new model is now heavier?!, and then I installed a flat liner in the rear tire even though that tire has a very high rating for flat resistance because I didn't want to be bothered with a flat in the rear with loaded panniers, fenders, and the mechanical stuff, so even with the liner the tire is still lighter than the Marathon Plus Tour by about 300 grams a piece.

If the tire protection factor is important but don't want a tire to weight 800 to 1000 grams each, you could look into the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, this tire is below 500 grams with pretty darn good flat protection, it also rolls fast for a larger tire. I use a 38c tire, this gives the bike a bit more of a cushy ride vs a 32, plus it can handle the load I carry easily without wearing out the tire fast, if you're not going to be carrying a load a 32c would be fine. The Almotion can do double duty as a gravel tire, the Supreme not so much; having said that, I would have no issue using a Supreme on gravel, I can ride 23c and 25c on gravel, I can more than handle a 32 on gravel, but of course I'm not bombing down a gravel road either with those narrower 23 and 25 tires, but I opted for the Almotion just in case I find myself on a gravel road with a loaded bike; noting what you said about not doing any gravel, then there's no reason to get a Almotion, I would get the Supreme, it has less rolling resistance, much better than adequate flat protection, and very long tread life, comes in a 32 size which is all you need for your purposes.

Don't forget too, that you don't need as much PSI in a 32 tire as you would with a 25c tire, but you will need more psi in a 32 than you did with the original 42's that came on the bike, so that will cause the tire to ride a bit harsher.

Lots of tire choices in the world, like others, I just mentioned one brand, you have to decide which brand and model mentioned either by me or others would fit your needs the best.