Old 04-06-22, 09:58 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Often times, when I ride the bicycle, I will not carry much with me. I definitely will not carry a spare battery or spare parts to assist in getting back to the destination. Whereas a general car, they have a regenerative electronics system that can maintain the battery while in use. Kind of important for the range they can cover too.
Things would have been a lot different if the big bike companies and UCI would partner in developing and promoting economy-oriented bikes.

I often have to mention the automotive industry because they often partner with FIA (The UCI counterpart in motorsports) and effectively promote BOTH their performance category products and economy products. They promote their economy products through rally race events which is quite popular around the world.

The cycling industry's concept of "economy" is a rugged, low cost bike with very low maintenance. Unfortunately, in the cycling industry, it only comes in one flavor, in the Dutch or cruiser category. Granted, the belt + IGH drivetrain bikes is the closest we can have to an ideal economy bike with more flavors to choose from like MTB, road, and gravel, bike companies and UCI doesn't promote them enough to become mainstream to make more affordable to the average (low income) commuter. I think they worry more about the drivetrain being heavier and average speeds dropping a bit. They seem to lack the creativity to promote rugged and low maintenance bikes. For instance, you can put them in a different road racing category with significantly higher minimum weight to account for the drivetrain, heavier-duty components, and the use of wider tires. Like a similar road racing event to TdF but with limited support and routes with poor quality roads to test the bike to the limits in terms of durability and reliability. It will also be similar to a gravel race but with more paved roads involved and the bikes being more rugged and heavier.

Plenty of possibilities to greatly expand our choices in terms of bike tech and cost. It's only a matter of promotion as people are rather very easily manipulated in how they think, what they believe they need by big companies.

Last edited by qwaalodge; 04-06-22 at 10:01 PM.