Old 11-17-21, 01:20 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,189 Times in 2,226 Posts
Knee Pain/ Discomfort

33 years old, average between 150-250 miles a week.

About 6 days ago while on my wahoo kickr doing zone 2 work I started to feel discomfort in my left knee. At the moment I didn’t think much of it, I initially tried to keep going but the pain started to grow so I abruptly stopped. I had ridden 265 miles that week, so thought maybe the miles had something to do with it.

The next day I got back on, after about 5 miles it started again. I hopped off and adjusted my cleats and again after about 5 miles the discomfort would start. So I stopped.

The next day after reading some articles on line I opted to raise my seat 3mm and push my seat back 1.5 mm. I had also slammed my stem about 1000 miles ago, so I raised it 5 mm.

Again after about 5 miles the discomfort would start.

I talked to my unofficial coach about it and he advised to take a couple of days off, looking at my training load he figured my body was tired. He also thought it might have to do with so much time on the trainer. I’ve only had the trainer for 3 weeks now and before that never used one before. The problem I had with this, I didn’t feel fatigued or tired at all. Most of my work on the trainer was zone 2 base miles. I did not feel like I put any more stress on my body than I usually do, and if anything I put less stress on my body.

The next day the weather was perfect so I opted to ride outside to see if this made a difference. Again at a round mile 5 the discomfort would start. I rode til about mile 10 and then with discomfort there was some mild pain so I opted to turn around.

The pain on a scale of 1-10 is a 3. I could push through it but concerned about long term damage if it’s something serious. The discomfort/ pain is in front of the knee, underneath the knee cap and on the right portion of the knee cap. Discomfort is get during the down stroke I’ve ridden 6500 miles this year, 5000 have been on this bike and I have never had any issues until now.

I’ve spent the last two days icing it as well as taking ibprofen.
The plan now tomorrow is to hop on without cleats to see if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be appreciated. I really am at a loss of why or what to do.