Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
The issue is I am currently in Dallas for training. I am going home for Thanksgiving, but the doctor was unavailable on the 26th. The 2nd was the first opening where I will be back in my hometown.

I rode this morning on the trainer for 30 mins. I walked on a treadmill first to get warmed up. I made sure to stretch and I even turned the heat on in my room to help the knee.

I didn’t clip in but I was able to ride without any pain or discomfort. I kept it mostly in power zone 1 but I did take it up to zone 3 for a short period. Again no discomfort or pain. I didn’t feel 100 percent but I was happy with the result.

Tonight I got on and clipped in. I had to adjust my cleat so that my toe was pointing in. I only rode for about 10 mins, didn’t want to over do it. No pain, or discomfort.
That's right. Since you had pain on the medial side, you need to use your vastus lateralis to pull the kneecap laterally, to the outside. Turning your toe in while pedaling would do that. Perhaps you've always pedaled toes out, which over-strengthened your vastus medialis (VMO). That would have pulled your kneecap inward and caused the pain. You might think about changing your cleats or moving them so that you have to pedal toes in.

With your mileage, any tiny thing which isn't perfect can create a problem. I pedal toes in sometimes, just for a change-up. Normally, my toes point pretty much forward, centerline of feet aligned with centerline of bike..