Old 09-10-11, 07:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
You don't need expensive bike boutique foods, that's just a huge ripoff unless your a pro getting the stuff for free. A lot of protein bars can be found at Walmart like Met-Rx Big 100 Colossal Bars; they, Walmart, even have a protein shot in a tube you can gulp fast on a ride or after a ride. Do some research and you can find stuff on the market place way cheaper then at an LBS. Drink wise Poweraide works as good as any LBS drink, in fact I buy Gatorade in a can and it works great, it's cheap, but I dilute it 50% for drinking while riding; why pay $1.50 or more for one bottle of drink on the bike when you can get the same effect for 10 cents a bottle?

Those Bonk bars only have 8 grms of protein, the Met RX has 21! Walmart has other bars too that have more protein the 8 gms. You can also put protein shake into a water bottle, I know some that do that, or you can simply use Nesquik, it has 8 grms of protein and it's cheaper then even the Walmart protein shakes.
I know - for me, they're more of a last-minute convenience thing, than anything. If I have time to prepare, I'll slap something together for the ride. These days, though, I'm lucky if I find *any* time, so getting out the door quickly is worth paying a little extra, sometimes. If I don't have to choke on a chalky bar, more the better. (Oh, and I don't drink anything but water on my rides - I can't stomach sports drinks, even watered down. Also, warm water is okay. Warm just-about-anything-else usually takes like crap.)