Old 07-20-22, 06:01 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
It does make me wonder what happened to that poor bike.

It's the deformation midway down the non-drive side chainstay that has my curiosity. What method would be used to remove it? It's not like it is accessible from the inside like a dented seat tube. And a chainstay is not round so a simple clamp block can't be used like a dented top tube.

Curious problem indeed.

I say 2x4's incrementally, until something cracks. Make it appear salvageable enough a frame builder might be interested enough to take on the job.

I had an orange Salsa Vaya that was a basket case & other issues but not nearly as bent as yours. In addition to that a chainstay filled with water that then went through many freeze/thaw cycles. It turned the nice oval chainstay round & pushed out the tire clearance dimple.

A frame alignment gauge & some 2x4's got it straight.
A vice, some clamps & soft wood reshaped the chainstay back to moreorless oval.
The dropout alignment gauges did their thing.
After all that, I took the frame to the local frame builder I have a rapport with. After some discussion, he re-dimpled the stay on the spot. Free as a personal favor.
The total dollar cost: $0

Steel is pretty forgiving. I say you've got nothing to lose but some labor time & a whole lot to gain in terms of bike-ness & knowledge.

Last edited by base2; 07-20-22 at 06:22 AM.