View Single Post
Old 01-27-23, 10:15 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
alfaspider, I believe you were going for something like this...?

About 7 years ago my friend decided to go from 10 speed campy to 11 speed. I happened to be at dinner with them, with my late wife.

As dinner goes on, we started to talk about the new campy 11 speed set ups and how he wanted to upgrade his bike. His wife says, "Your bike works fine, you are always cleaning it," this and that. So he decides to tell his wife about how great the campagnolo 11 speed record was, and how it would last forever, and he would never change this perfect system. This went on for about 15 minutes. His wife says, "Ok...but you must put the old campy record 10 on my bike." He says "sure."

Well he gets his new parts, installs them, has great riding for many years. Then campy 12eds come out. (This is a few months before my wife passed from covid 19.) We are going to the Bodega Bay in my car, they are in the back seat. He's chatting her up on the campy 12eds system, and how great it is, etc.

To his suprise, she pulls out her phone. A few years back when we were at dinner and he was saying how great campagnolo 11 speed was, she recorded it on her phone! She played it back... my wife just looked at me and mouthed, "he's screwed" and giggled. I watched when I could in my mirror, and watched him slowly sink into the rear seat. After the recording stopped she started laughing. She had been married to him at that point about 23 years. At some point she caught on to him, most likely in year 1 lol.

He's very happy with his 11 speed record to this day.