View Single Post
Old 04-28-21, 02:24 AM
Funktopus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Is this chainring toast?

Hi all. I recently bought a 54t chainring to replace my 52t ring. The seller described it as jn good condition, and on ebay it indeed looked good. Item listing here: https://www.ebay.es/itm/384031005089

However! With it installed on the bike it's been a nightmare. It won't shift easily at all. If I'm cycling on even a mild incline it either won't leave the big ring, or it will have serious chain suck and get the chain very tangled. Pic of the carnage:

I've adjusted the derailleur to no end. Taking a look at the teeth in person they actually seem pretty sharp. Can I get a sanity check on this? Is this chainring toast? Closeup of teeth:

With the derailleur I've found the original manual and followed the instructions to the letter. Nothing out of the ordinary, position 2-3mm above teeth, make sure the outer cage is parallel to the big ring. I've fiddled with the limit screws to make shifting more aggressive, but it was fine on my old chainring. The derailleur can take the jump between bug and small, it's a difference of 18t, which is fine with this Shimano 600 FD6207. Anything I've missed?

Thanks

Last edited by Funktopus; 04-28-21 at 02:29 AM.