Old 02-01-12, 02:19 AM
Pedidelic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Differences in motor watts?

Hi,

I built a 36v20ah 800watt bike. Runs great. Faster than I like to ride downhill, yet good speed going uphill. I'd like to build another bike but better if possible. I don't really understand the difference mixtures of motor watts to battery volts.

Can someone explain the basic difference in bicycle motor watts? Say for example, I have a 36V lifepo battery and used it on a 500watt motor and then a 800watt motor. What will be the difference in performances? Faster speeds one way or another. Better hill climbing?

Reason I ask, is that i see very little difference in prices from one motor to the next. Oh... maybe 30 or 50 dollars difference. So if a 250w kit is $200, 500w kit is $230 and a 800w is $250, etc... then why not buy the bigger motor?

Further confusing the matter, I see kits with mixed battery volts vs motor watts. I see 250 watts with 48volt battery/controller, then I see 1000watt motor for 48volt battery/controllers (and many combinations in between).

Lastly, I read on an e-bike retailer's page that "ah" translate to "mph", i.e. 10ah=10mph, 20ah=20mph, etc... is this roughly correct or not? Seems my 36v20ah bike goes roughly 20 mph (+or-) which supports the retailer's assertion.

Thanks!