Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I'd like to add more tips:

Sprinters and wanna-be sprinters (like myself) talk a lot about weightlifting, poundage, reps, etc...

Don't get so caught up in lifting that you lose sight of the fact that it is about bike racing. I can out-squat guys that can run circles around me on the track.

Lifting weights is just a tool to help prepare you to be strong and powerful on the track. Adding 50lbs/23kg to your 1 rep max may not be as beneficial as doing very solid sets of 5 reps.

Also, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Squats aren't the only way to train to sprint. Don't be discouraged if you don't have access to a proper free-weight gym. Some sprinters don't squat. Some do leg press, plyometrics, hill repeats, ergo strength sessions, etc... Some don't lift weights at all.

So for us local racers, it is most important that we do *something* because doing anything regularly is better than doing nothing.
Well said, Carleton.

My coach has told me the same, because I get really frustrated at the gym. I'm fairly new to gym, so even the girls are all out-squatting me. fml.