View Single Post
Old 12-03-18, 04:00 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Yeah, the internet is full of advice when it comes to bike fitting. Most comes from the road and TT world where the demands are similar but significantly different.

The advice I give (and followed myself) is to find one or two top level athletes that participate in the events you like and have a similar dimensions as you (e.g. short and stocky, tall and gangly, average). For example, I might choose Chris Hoy over Cav or Glaetzer as my model. Save photos and videos of them preferably from the side or front where they are square with the camera.

One good source is instagram (the athlete’s profile) another is Flickr (the photographer’s profile). It helps if you happen to choose a popular athlete.

These athletes have likely had the best fitters in the world and seen more wind tunnel time than most. This can be your target. Adjust for comfort, age, flexibility, etc.
Good tips. Thanks Carleton! So I found this app that Rainmaker reviewed for doing bike fits and I paid the $15 for the elite version. See below URL. It's pretty cool and I am still getting to know how to use it. It's a bit tricky by yourself, but at least it has a 30s self timer...hit the button, run to my bike, get on and try to get into a fairly normal riding pace in 15 sec, and then it shoots the video. Then you add your points for it to calculate the angles of everything. I was able to get a good snapshot with my cranks at 6:00 position, but when I run the video the dots don't track with my movement. I think I may have to add actual sticky reflective dots on my body for it to follow them. I just put a new seat on and have been messing with my fit. This one feels alright. This is not my most aero position...I can lean forward a lot more and scoot my butt back another 2cm when in my seated sprint mode.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/...ent-review.htm