View Single Post
Old 08-07-19, 07:50 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I haven't owned a car for 14 years. I have been a four season scooterist (50cc-650cc). I started commuting to work by bicycle in May. I ride beach cruisers. I own 2 Electra Townie 21d, and used to own a Sixthreezero EvryJourney 7. When I first started commuting it would take me about 70-80 minutes to commute in one direction every other day (12 miles, 370 feet elevation change). I was commuting one way at the first month on my bicycle and taking public transportation home. During the second month, I started commuting three times a week in both directions. I got my times down to 50 mins and 75 minutes, which beats public transportation, bus and rail. I really needed some more consistent timing. My commute times are at 4 am and 3 pm, in the morning it's cool and downslope. In the afternoon, its warm, against wind and upslope. I can do it, but I decided to buy a cheap ebike for the third month.

The ebike has made my commute time 50 mins in both directions. I own a 2017 Raleigh Retroglide Ie that I purchased for $1200. Both of my Townies were $250 each, and the EvryJourney was $300. I love the ebike. This week, I went back to regular bicycling and it took me 55 mins and 70 mins to commute. I listen to music on my commute and stick to around 14-15 MPH with level 2/4 assist. Commute times on my scooter is 25-40 mins both ways depending on traffic. This month, I decided to commute 4 times a week, our lows are in the 60s and highs in the 90s. I use a cooling vest to keep me cool on hot days. I am regularly passed by other bicycles on my way home. I live in Denver and want to be a four season bicycle commuter.

Why did I move to a bicycle? Health reasons and to lower my commute expenses. Scooters need maintenance, a license plate, a special license to ride, and gas. My gas bill is usually $6/week. My Scooter is a 2018 Yamaha XMAX 300, I average about 80 MPG. I'm a type 2 diabetic, riding a bicycle/ebike to work has helped me to lose 15 lbs so far, my goal is 100 lbs by next summer. My insulin levels have been decreased by 50%. Ebikes are the best thing since slice bread as far as I'm concerned. I'm very two wheeled experienced motorized or not. I love bicycling and my endochronologist stated that they're no difference in my blood sugars when I ebike.

Ebikes are the fastest growing two wheeled segment of any market. Riding an ebike is like Pee Wee Herman when he's just cruising past the racers. It's fun and enjoyable. You can be a purist, but ebikes have expanded the bicycle industry and is the future. Bicycle religions are crazy. Everyone can ride whatever they want. I ride both, improve my health, and no longer get scooter rage. I ride on bicycle paths and am always respectful. Most bicyclist are we all want to ride bicycles and we need to work together to coexist. Don't judge ebikes if you haven't ridden one. I used to ride a moped as a teenager. I loved it at the time too. My mopeds were modified to go 48 MPH and I did my own work. Would I ride a moped from the 70s today hell no! Today's machines have better technology. Ebikes will improve bicycle technology. This week, I was thinking my scooter might be the last scooter that I purchase. I'm also thinking about getting a 500W hub drive ebike. Ebikes are also the most affordable hybrid vehicle on the market. I owned an escooter before but the bicycle is just more practical. Ride what you want, mtb, road bike, city bike, beach cruiser, ebike. We can all die the same way by getting hit by another vehicle.

This discussion is the same as motorcycles vs scooters, classic scooters vs modern scooters. It just doesn't matter. Cheers.
Likes For alloo: