View Single Post
Old 05-10-22, 03:30 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Two Of Everything...

Originally Posted by jonwvara
I have a NOS Stronglight chainring in a size I need, but it's not the "correct" style for my Model 93 crankset. The BCD is the same, though, so I could easily just bolt it on and ride it. The slight stylistic mismatch wouldn't matter much to me once it was in place.

What does matter to me is the prospect of throwing away the chainring's NOSness so frivolously. I would much rather start with a used ring that's in the same approximate condition as the rest of the bike.

This is not a new problem for me. Whenever I get my hands on NOS parts (I don't seek them out, but sometimes it happens anyway), I tend to put off using them I'm out of other options. I may be approaching that point now with the Stronglight ring.

Should I see a therapist about this?
Jon, what size and style of 122mm BCD chainring are you looking for? I have a bunch of them.

Originally Posted by smd4
I feel your pain. That’s why I need two of everything.
When I got back into collecting (hoarding) bikes in 2006, when I found a mint bike that I really liked, I stored it away and picked up a rider quality of the exact same bike... Since most were upper mid range they would probably not have a lot of resale value to a collector. I've gotten rid of about 4- 5 of my duplicates and in most cases kept the riders. If a bike is too pretty it doesn't get ridden much!

I still have a lot of NOS components....

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg: