Old 09-27-23, 01:57 PM
marnar

Bikes: 70's Gitanes TDF; MB-3, '63 JC Higgins, Centurion Pro Tour 15, 80's Guilbilato, and a couple of Rex's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Miyata 312

Originally Posted by TC1
Continuing the recent Miyata theme, I just finished retromodding this '87 312 Competition into a gravel grinder.

I picked it up back in the spring, for a song, in very nice original condition -- I couldn't believe how shiny the Starlight Black paint under the bottom bracket shell still was. Unfortunately, one of the tires was split, and since I didn't like any of the market's 27" tire options, that provided rational to upgrade to 700s, which rapidly became a retro mod. I cold-set the rear to 130mm in my jig, and then built a wheelset for it with DT Swiss RR411 rims on Bitex straight-pull hubs that came out at 1487g -- which is amazing for $316 -- and mounted 33mm tubeless Vittoria Terreno Drys. Replaced the heavy steel cockpit with Easton EA70 drops, and a partial 105 R7000 group -- but I kept the aluminum SR Sakae Signature crankset because I like the close-ratio 52/42 rings, but mainly it looks pretty. Slapped on a Bontrager saddle that I had, that coincidentally looks like it was made for this frame, and Kool-Stop dual-compound pads in the original Z57 calipers.

All tolled -- without the saddle bag, taillight, and bottle cage -- she tips the scale at just 21.1 pounds which isn't bad for 36 year-old steel offroader. More importantly, is a beautiful ride... I might even sell off one of my other gravel bikes now, since this one is definitely a keeper.
Not surprised by your appreciation of the ride. They are great bikes. I am impressed at the weight loss. Did you weight it before your mods?

I am curious how you updated the stem to the original steerer.