View Single Post
Old 08-25-21, 04:28 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
The Rohloff was actually very good and responsive, but I'm sensitive to that crunching noise around 6th gear, which is usually on some sort of climb, so it's nerve wracking to hear metal noises while you're pedaling hard uphill! Then there is the service interval @3k miles which means maintenance. Also the weight is on the back wheel, which dynamically isn't a big deal, especially on pavement, until you ride a Pinion with a centered weight and lower CoG on a trail. At 6k service interval, a soft whirring gear noise when running, and wide ratio, not to mention the Gates belt drive for low maintenance, I think it's a progression from the Rohloff, which is still good, just not as good as a Pinion for me.
Yes the pinion brands jump a lot in price from the Priority 600, which we got after a long test from a friend's ride, to the next tier of pricing, which are mostly custom bikes. We have 3 pinions in the house, 2 Alu and 1 Ti. The other 2 are customs. If you are willing to spend more, then also look at Tout Terrain, Nicholai, Boettcher and Santos, but most of these at Alu/Ti bikes.
Which brings me to frame material, I personally don't want the extra weight of steel bikes, and find that the comfort feel is mostly in the seat post and fork, so if you get carbon for both, it would alleviate the feel issue without the weight penalty of steel. With a commuter/tourer/gravel, I want a faster lighter bike, something few steel bikes can claim to be. A racked and decked out steel bike would easily be in the 38++ lbs range. My Ti fully decked P1.18 tourer is about 27lbs (with 622x37c). My Jongerius Alu P1.18 is around 34lbs. The P600 will probably be in the 35lbs range decked out.
I looked at the Co-Motion but the components don't appeal, nor did the weight once fully equipped. I like the SS coupling for travel. I am telling you what I want in a bike. From what you've stipulated, a lighter, faster bike with a modest luggage capability seems to be what you want. I went a bit nuts with the Ti, and would really love to retire the folding with a carbon Pinion. Frankly, if I weren't lazy, a derailleur system works well. But I'm doing 100-120 miles a week with commute, that means weekly chain cleaning and lubing. Not for me! haha