Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
This past weekend my wife and I drove out of town on the Interstate (I-10 and I-51) and I tried an experiment. For the first 10 miles on I-10 in the city/burbs with 8-12 lanes where the speed limit is 60mph and I held 65mph. The second 10 miles was outside the city on an elevated section of I-10 4-lane where the speed limit is still 60mph and I set the cruise control at 65mph. The last section was also 10 miles on an elevated section of I-55 4-lane and the speed limit was 70mph and I set the cruise on 70 exactly (the fastest I ever drive).

My wife counted the cars passing us, I counted the vehicles I passed (not including those entering or exiting the Interstate). I knew I had the easier job. Here are the results.

First 20 miles. 762 vehicles passed me. I passed ZERO.
Next 10 miles. 52 vehicles passed me. I passed one box truck filled with seafood.

On the way home, same route - I passed another box truck - again seafood. We got lazy about counting the ones that passed us. Hundreds. Maybe 2 in 10 signaled lane changes. We did not count phone users.

The irony to me is the fact that when I am driving a vehicle and obeying the law (or even fudging 5 mph) I am undoubtedly annoying other motorists as they bunch up behind me waiting for an opening to get around me. When cycling around town I am annoying motorists when I run red lights to AVOID having them delayed behind me.

So given the fact that 60 minutes on a busy Interstate highway revealed two vehicles out of over 1000 obeying the law (and likely only because their vehicle would not go any faster) the question I have is this: Why should I give a d@mn what motorists think of me breaking the law on my bicycle?
For me, I would slightly rephrase the question to say this WHY SHOULD I GIVE A HOOT ABOUT WHAT MOTORISTS' THINK. WHEN THEY HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO PASS WITHOUT BREAKING THE TRAFFIC LAW, OR BY RUNNING ME OFF THE ROAD BY BULLYING ME.

So, For you, it is running red lights. For me, it is 'taking the lane'.