Thread: Brandon McNulty
View Single Post
Old 04-14-21, 02:41 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Was it Remco that ran into / off a bridge? Can't recall exactly. Unknown where he'd be without that so I'll stick with the intra-UAE scence.

That last day in Itzulia was always going to be a stretch for our Brandon. The direction (or at least outcome) from UAE to support McNulty could only serve these ends, intentional or not: (all BEFORE they left him)

1. a boost of emotional support to Brandon. We believe in you, kid.
2. an homage to the cycling gods of old +/- precedent to other team members.
3. a reminder to Pogacar that he's part of a team, and it's not ALWAYS about him

All that could have been noble. Much more noble than looking at it as their long shot to win (all in Brandon) which may or may not have been more of a long shot than saying fly young Tadej, be free, the rest will limp in with Brandon and you try to find 20+ seconds.

The flip from stay back and work to go fly really flushed all of the theoretical higher ends and left them holding a soup sandwich.

Oh well. Shoulder shrug. Belgian whoof. That's racing.

When the gap was still manageably small but not closing, I was surprised McNulty didn't share in the work to try to close it for the both of them. Maybe he did and I missed it. Maybe he couldn't which makes the whole thing even more questionable.
Likes For slcbob: