View Single Post
Old 08-10-21, 10:33 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
We have a sign on our drive that I would assume is very similar. I live on a street that is roughly a mile long. I am about 2/5 of the way down and just over the hill where you can see the circle that much further down. In spite of the sign, every heavy truck/delivery/lookie-do ALL turn around there. It is destroying the end of my driveway. I have called and complained to Amazon, to Fed-Ex, to UPS, and will actively go out and ***** at people I see doing it if I am close enough to say something. It does ZERO good. Ain't like the police are going to come out for it either. Certainly not the same in a direct causation way as vandalizing a car.

I may have missed a part of the discussion at some point, where I bolded part of what you wrote. And you say afterward even, that it doesn't appear he is asking about cutting private property like that (description) but rather streets through an area that is marked as such. I just don't see the two being an apples to apples comparison in spite of absolutely feeling your post.

Just the same, the difference I see is a "private property" sign, and a "no trespassing" sign. Even in spite of (both our) indignance, I don't think there is much to be done about it unless you can catch and document actual property damages being committed. I touched on the other aspect (of my opinion of it) in a post above, I think #10.

Any rate, well worded post.
I am having a hard time visualizing your street. If the street is public, people can use it. If you lived in a private community and the street was maintained by the private community, vehicles should NOT be using it to turn around. Enforcement is an entirely different can of worms. In polite society, people follow the rules and do not need to engage the law for minor trespass. If it were criminal trespass, the law would respond or at least where I live. If I warned someone and if the property was posted and they did not stop, I am 100% sure my local PD would respond to the call

Trying to litigate what constitutes harm is well beyond what I wish to discuss but will give two examples. If I am sitting on my patio enjoying the peace and quiet while cars and bikes and pedestrians are parading thru my living space, I am harmed. They are breaking the law, pure and simple. If I am on privately owned hunting property and after spending hours in the bitter cold, a bunch of yahoos on snowmobiles come blasting thru, I am harmed. My hunt is ruined and the marks they leave on the soil are damaging. Plus, they are breaking the law. Society is harmed when lawlessness is considered Fair Game or Fair Use.