View Single Post
Old 11-27-21, 06:16 PM
Allezedly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This is how I rode it today, with the Nitto Young 3 100mm quill stem, Nitto 105aa drop bars, and a Fabric flat seat.

State as of Thanksgiving weekend, 2021.

I have been trying to dial in the fit, including the brifter position, so I hacked together a minimal solution for padding on the bars that doesn’t require me to wrap, unwrap, and re-wrap the bars each time.

I am going to have a bike shop do the swap of the 600 Ultegra brifters to the Campagnolo Centaur brifters, replace all the cables and housings, and tune up the brakes and shifting. I did do a test fit of the Centaur brifters on the handlebars and they feel much more comfortable than the original brifters.

I feel like the bend is too tight at the drops on these 105aa bars. I also wish that my bars were perfectly parallel on the top and bottom. However, I’ll reevaluate the fit when the Centaur shifters are installed; maybe they will be comfortable with the bar rotated forward so that the bottoms are parallel with the ground, without too much of a drop from the tops to the brifters.

As I’m now deferring having this related red, I now possess some good bar tape with the right shade of golden yellow that is close to the color of the yellow lettering on the frame. I am considering going with some cable housing that is also golden yellow, but I am not sure if that will work with the Campagnolo cables I need, and I am not quite even sure which diameter Campagnolo cables I need. It will be a minor miracle if I can get the bar tape and housing to match color-wise.

I talked to a couple bike shop techs and they acted like they never heard of mixing Campy 10 speed brifters with Shimano 8 speed, though I have seen many on the internet claim this is the best configuration for 8 speed Shimano. I am reluctant to take the bike somewhere that’s never done this before. I am sure there are a bunch of bike shops in SoCal who know how to do this, but it is difficult to find one.