View Single Post
Old 05-09-16, 07:48 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tbkfan
I went with the entry level carbon and got the Elite (2016). My thinking at the time was that I can always upgrade the Sora drivetrain later. Now I am wondering if I have shot myself in the foot. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to an Ultegra 11 speed on the stock wheel/hub? Wheel upgrade may have been in my future anyways, but it would be nice to know what I am in for when I get the itch to upgrade.
Sora shifts fine.

I rented a Specialized Sirrus in Maui last year from Maui Cycles (the frame was Aluminum, but with a Carbon fork and Zertz inserts in the rear stays). I was very pleasantly surprised with how well the bike performed and handled - it was much closer to my road racing bikes than it was to my MTB (which is an Aluminum Specialized HardRock Sport). Considering that this bike cost me less than half as much to rent as a Roubaix would have ($100 for 4 days, vs. $200), I thought it was a great economizing move. I put about 130 miles on the bike during the parts of 5 days (afternoon of day 1 to morning of day 5) that I had it, and I would definitely rent this one again if it was half the cost of a higher-end road bike.