View Single Post
Old 06-14-21, 11:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
That's a classic pinch flat.
+1

Originally Posted by geepondy

It's a double slice on the side of tube above my finger. But tire and rim look ok. Any ideas?
Notice those slits are centered on the side of your tube. They were caused by your rim bottoming out on a pothole, railroad tracks ... By definition, those slits were "on center". What you are seeing is a tube that was put in twisted; in fact 90 degrees in 3 inches. Bad. Twisted tubes cause problems - flats not associated with anything else. I'm not going to grade you or whoever installed that tube. But I also don't want to see you at the roadside with another flat.

Originally Posted by Random11
I'm sure you're right. But after several flats I looked REALLY CAREFULLY. And, took it to my LBS and they didn't find anything. At this point, I don't plan to use the tire again.
Both the tiny tire wires and small pieces of glass can remain in the tread/cord of the tire and have nothing visible on either side if the tire. The way to find them is to patch your inner tube. Then put it back in and look very hard where the patch is (and exactly that far away on the other side of the valve stem - count spokes). It is radically easier to find something you know is in a 1 inch circle that something that might be anywhere along a 7 foot by 3 inch strip. And if you don't find it, your next patch will be over the last or exactly the same distance from the valve.