Old 06-18-21, 11:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
And many are just damned lazy and/or ignorant….to become self sufficient. IMO the vast majority, don’t make a conscious/fiscal decision to pay to have their bike fixed….they just don’t know how…and it doesn’t dawn on them to even google the subject
Thats quite the assumption you make.

You have no idea if people make a conscious decision to put their bike in the shop rather than try to fix it. You have no idea if people think 'maybe I could learn' before they decide to bring their bike in for service.

I dont know why you see this as a negative- we live in a complex society where we trade goods and services all the time. People pay money for someone else to do their taxes when they could just learn tax law and do it themselves. People pay money for someone else to cook food when they could just learn French cooking and do it themselves. People pay money for someone else to install a dishwashers when they could just watch a ton of youtube videos and figure out the instruction manual and do it themselves.

But all the above takes time and money. Perhaps people dont want to spend that time and money on learning and struggling to master skills. That should be OK.
It should especially be OK when it comes to a hobby- this is all just a hobby. My goodness. Why denigrate an entire group of people for not wanting to spend their free time having to learn and perfect maintenance just to enjoy a hobby?