superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You may be walking. I’m still pedaling. It may seem like a fools errand but pedaling at that speed is easier than walking the bike. My lowest gear is in the 15” range…and, no, I don’t think a 36/32 low is “plenty”. At 60 rpm, that not quite 3mph and I can stay upright down to zero.
I was basing my response on his qualification of road biking. On a mountain bike, sure, go as low as you can stand (see what I did there?). On pavement, past a certain gradient, you're just gonna have to hump it or walk it. Most roads are <15%, even those that are considered STEEP. Sure, there are the one-offs here and there (like that one ride on the east coast that hits all the 20%+ hills --is that your everyday ride? no, it isn't. Neither is Mt. Washington or the Koppenberg. If it is, well goody for you). Unless the OP is exclusively riding the steepest streets in downtown SF, yeah, I think a mid or full compact with a 32 in the back is plenty*. Shrug.

* I'm 6'3", 185lbs and ride 3000mi a year and I have a 245w ftp. I'm not a whippet climber with an other-wordly w/kg ratio. I'm more like a great dane. Some days, I'm a St. Bernard, and just happy to get outside.