View Single Post
Old 12-31-15, 11:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,396 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
So, opinions?

Fuji Bikes | LIFESTYLE | CROSS TERRAIN | TOURING

I like it!

- Andy
It's an okay bike that's a pretty good value. Nothing too special but not too many warts either. However...

I thought you "were sooo done with rim brakes!". This isn't a bike that could be easily converted to discs. The rear disc is just plain out. I suppose that you could have someone add disc tabs to the rear but that isn't going to be cheap. It may not even be possible. The tubes on the nondrive side may not be strong enough to withstand the braking force.

You could put discs on the front but that's still going to be expensive. You'd need a new fork, a new wheel and a disc caliper. All in you'd be looking at $150 to $250 depending on the quality of the parts. If you don't install the parts yourself, you are looking at another $150 to $200 for labor. That's adding a lot to the cost of the bike and getting it pretty close to the price of a LHT Disc Trucker.

Bottom line: It's a good bike as it sits. It's not necessarily a good bike for you if you start fiddling with it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!