View Single Post
Old 06-21-13, 06:22 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ro-monster
What I'm interested in learning is this: How do folks who don't have cars approach the problem of getting to those places that are impractical for a reasonably quick bike trip, but equally impractical to reach via transit? Do you simply limit your activities to whatever is within easy biking distance? Do you get rides with other people? Do you spend hours getting there? Rent cars? Or use some other way that I never thought of?
To answer your question: I limit my activities to whatever is easily accessible on foot, by bicycle, or by public transit. If the travel is more impractical than any of those 3 methods, I tend to just skip it and deal with the fact that I'm going to miss out on some stuff if I stick with a car-free lifestyle. If it's important enough to warrant a car (like a seriously ill relative 100 miles away), I'll just rent a car. I'm saving quite a bit of money on gas, insurance, maintenance, and parking fees/tickets (not to mention my blood pressure) by not driving.