View Single Post
Old 11-28-14, 08:15 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
I understand JAred's sentiments --- i am an infrequent poster here , -- I am not a national level rider today , but had a good run for 3 or 4 years more than a decade ago before the realities of having to make a living got in the way of my high level racing aspirations (the travel killed it for me)

BEen a cyclist for 27 years and a trackie since 1998.

Sounds funny , but for my needs and current sensibilities -- the steel Waterford i have hanging up in my garage is already my dream track bike.
I am just fickle and petty enough that i wouldn't ride something that is ugly to my eyes unless it was head and shoulders better ---- for instance , - if i was routinely losing races by the width of a tire , or even a half wheel ---- yes, at that point i would look into other opportunities
-- That said - in the event that it looked like my bike was actually holding me back --
I would travel to Ri-fle , Colorado to Mr Yamaguchi's custom shop and see if he could make me something burly. I believe he could make me a serious "point n shoot" race weapon that still pleased my aesthetic sensibilities --- given the weight of a lot of the carbon wonder-sprinters out there, i think we could keep the weight within a similar spectrum

Aside from that --- a lot of the carbon frames now were designed a generation ago and have just survived with updates , and not much genuine innovation --- I'm sure any of them would do nicely ---- Corima , BT, Bridgestone, , etc. - as long as i could get proper positioning, one seems as good as another

Look seems to be throwing some modern innovation into their rigs and i dont know what kind of magic the Brit's are working in their back-room workshops

----- So, i guess if not the bike i already own , -- a dream rig for me would be a gusseted out Yamaguchi -- i may get one anyway before he retires
But............ if i were to make a serious run at Masters class glory now that i am age eligible -- i have said before , i would just procure an off the shelf Dolan and be done with it - good enough for Steve Hill, Sky Christopherson and a slew of others , then good enough for me (and the 'Guchi for mass start stuff - just because it makes me happy )

Similar to my experiences as an outdoorsman --- i resisted the urge to go with modern stuff made of plastic for years , - as a bow hunting sidearm, i preferred a 6 shot .357 magnum Colt revolver ---- recently, i picked up a Glock in 10mm (similar power to the 357 magnum) - it holds 15 rounds with the same weight as my more old school Colts and S&W's. The old stuff is still effective , and still gets used , -- but when i am in an area where things with lots of fangs and claws are walking around, i've switched over to the new stuff