Old 11-07-17, 10:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
This is what I've heard about T-town as well. Its 28 deg banking is even slightly less than similar tracks like 7-11 (33 deg).

Anyone know what the "shallowest" turn a 250 can have? Most seem to be in the ~40-45 deg range, but could it be made more like 35 to make it a bit more friendly to new rider, but still the preferred size for major competitions? Or does making a 250 with a shallower banking ruin the elite racing appeal?
I believe that the banking of the turn is related to the radius of the turn more so than the length of the track. The speeds that are expected on the track are to be considered, too.

DLV is cigar-shaped. Long straights and tight turns. Imagine if you had a standard 250M track like LA and lengthened the straights to make it a 333m track. That's what DLV sorta is.

DLV is a 327M track and it has 36 or 37 degree turns...and ideally they should be more steep. The radius of the turns is so tight that the turn isn't steep enough to maintain neutral steering at speeds over 32mph. The turns should be maybe 40 degrees.

Anyway...so I write all of that to write this. To make a shallow 250M track, you have to make the turns gradual and not tight. That means the track will be round or round-ish...like TTown or Colorado Springs and maybe Boulder, but I can't really say as I haven't visited there yet.