Old 02-17-18, 07:47 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Seemed pretty obvious after looking at the problem for a minute, have others tried this?
Originally Posted by taras0000
I'm pretty sure that this is the first time I've seen this mod done. The brits put screwholes into the same locations for their strap bracket, but this is really slick!
Yeah, I think this is the first time, too.

Here are Hoy's* pedals. Note the bolts go through the same area where you cut out. These bolts bear load as the strap would tug on the bolts during max effort and seemed to work well enough for the British. Baby Puke, your system wouldn't put any load in this area. All your holes do is make a place for the straps to go through and affix the strap against the bottom of the plastic clamp that grabs the cleat.

Another difference is that the British system would force the cleat closed when the strap was tugged. Your system does not. It simply pulls the pedal up from the bottom which is arguably better.

The only concern is if the system allows the strap to slide and shift from being under the bottom to being across the back. I guess testing would let you know if that's happening.

So, if this passes testing, it would be awesome. And it would work for current generation SPD-SL pedals as well (I checked mine).

*"Hoy used Omnium cranks??" Not really. This photo is from when Hoy launched his line of track bikes which used Omnium cranks. He had been using that pedal system for years in competition. He did some photoshoots of him riding his bikes for promotion. Note the really long reach that he liked. He was one of the first sprinters (that I know of) that used a longer than normal reach:

Last edited by carleton; 02-17-18 at 07:53 PM.