Old 01-06-20, 11:23 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Not sure where to ask this. Looked briefly but didn't find anything.

I'm lifting now and, among other things, doing the leg sled thing. My goal is to improve overall power and specifically peak power out to 35 seconds. I'm exploring limits on the sled and I'm honestly afraid of overdoing it.

Right now I have 260 lbs weight on the sled (total plates - 55+55+25 on each side). I can do 8 reps pretty readily but each one is a decent effort, it's just that I'm not getting that "failure" feeling like I do when I do other exercises. I might be able to do 12 or more reps if I kept going, but my goal is to increase peak power so I want to keep reps down and get the weight up. I'd call 260 lbs "medium heavy" to "heavy heavy". I can't imagine going much more than about 350 lbs at this point, and I'll be trying 280-300 next time out. I weigh 176-178, overweight by a solid 15-20 lbs of pure fat and theoretically should be able to lose another 10-15 lbs after that but the second bit doesn't seem realistic.

I asked someone ("former gymrat", not a rider, and not big by any means, he's much smaller than me, 140?) what he did and he said "600-700".

That didn't seem possible, but then again maybe I just don't know. It just seems really high.

I plan on transitioning to doing actual squats with free weights and a bar, but I'll ease into that. I plan on doing form squats soon, empty bar etc (from the UP UP UP thing).

So on the leg sled, at my weight, what sort of weight should I be able to do? If broadly categorizing like w/kg, what's like 3 w/kg weight, the 4 w/kg, the 5 w/kg?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson