Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
1 Inch Chris King No Threadset Install

Hello , A little background.

I purchased a 2000 Lightspeed Classic frameset and am planning a build out to have a long dreamed about Titanium bike. The frame is in great shape and I have been busy re-brushing the entire frame. With the exception of a tiny dent near the bottom bracket on the drive side and some scuffing (probably from dropped chains/chain suck) the frame look amazing. A bit of red scotch brite and it is almost invisible. This model has a 1 inch head tube.

I have a 1 inch Chris King No Threadset ordered. This was what the bike originally came with even though it has a quill stem pictured in some catalogues most that I have seen are thread-less. Could have been a mid production change. Regardless I am going thread-less as with an adapter I can put a modern stem on it. There are plenty of Ritchey forks on line with a 1 inch steerer tube that are reasonable in price so that is the set up I will go with.

I have built bikes before and installed headsets. I have a generic home made tool with all thread and big washers I have used as a press for bearing cups.

My question (finally lol) is should I take this to a bike shop. I read the instructions for the installation and they mention face reaming, chamfering, determining squareness etc which I can not do like as shop can. I doubt it is a real expensive job so would I be better served by having a shop set the cups as well as the crown race on the fork ?

I have done all right up to now on builds but this is a much more important project to me. I have a Lightspeed factory sticker kit for that model on the way so an essentially brand new titanium frame with classic euro geometry and updated componentry is going to be pretty slick.

Thanks in advance