Old 01-06-22, 04:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I worked in a larger shop in Ottawa (now closed) that imported frames and parts and assembled their own line of bikes. Sometimes the bikes were assembled in the larger store across the river in Gatineau, sometimes we just got shipped a frame and box of parts from the warehouse in Gatineau and assembled the bikes ourselves.

I would estimate that between 0% and 0% of those bikes had reflectors installed during assembly, and not too many more had then added at customer request before delivery. I think we had a box of reflectors for those rare occasions.
I would encourage lights for any bikes intended for use on the road *(along with lock, bell, fenders, kickstand, etc) but not everyone agreed on the extra cost.
"Well spoken, Bruce!"

Lights are super important especially for those who ride a night, get a good decently bright light at the front but most importantly over all else get one with a good beam pattern. STvZO regulations make a ton of sense and make some very smart lights for more urban riding. Also get a good light at the back and keep in mind other people have to look at it so make yourself visible but not dazzling or dangerous.

Locks, bells and fenders are also quite handy. Kickstand I could care less about but everything is handy. Though I do find the kickstand on my e-bike handy but that is heavy (on purpose not just a crappy bike) so leaning it is not easy and my lock is a touch longer to accommodate using a kickstand and with the wheel lock as well it is a tough nut to crack.

To those questioning fenders you may not ride in the rain but do you ride the day after maybe? Do you ride on a wooded path that is dirt heavy and may not dry up for weeks? Do you like to keep yourself and your bike cleaner? If you answered yes to any one of those questions you are a prime candidate for fenders. Also they can potentially have aerodynamic benefits according to Jan Heine and his testing.