View Single Post
Old 01-14-22, 07:30 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

It is statements like this one from Amtrak that was behind me saying it is confusing....

You can't check baggage at all stations nor on all trains. So, I don't think your take is 100% accurate.
I think the confusion stems from the fact that Amtrak has been pretty steadily becoming more bike-friendly (maybe they they've realized that this is an area where they can compete with the airlines), but a lot of the old information is still floating around in print and on the internet.

Here's a condensed version of Amtrak's current folding-bike policy. I bolded the key line:

Folding Bikes as Carry-on Baggage

Folding bicycles under the dimensions of 34" x 15" x 48" (860 x 380 x 1120 mm) will be allowed onboard all trains in lieu of a piece of baggage.

Only certain passenger cars can accommodate folding bicycles as carry-on baggage, otherwise they must be checked.

Only true folding bicycles (bicycles specifically designed to fold up into a compact assembly) are acceptable. Generally, these bikes have frame latches allowing the frame to be collapsed, and small wheels. Regular bikes of any size, with or without wheels, are not considered folding bikes, and may not be stored as folding bikes aboard trains.

You must fold up your folding bicycle before boarding the train. You may store the bike only in luggage storage areas at the end of the car (or, in Superliners, on the lower level). You may not store bikes in overhead racks.

Note that the second line explains that although folding bikes are allowed on all trains, they're only allowed in certain cars on any individual train. Not sure what they do when 25 cyclists show up with folding bikes on the same day. I suppose that could happen on a nice Friday afternoon when everyone wants to take the train from DC to Cumberland, Maryland to ride the C&O/GAP Trail. But I can't see it happening often as a general thing.

Pretty sure it would be a first-come, first-served situation.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 01-14-22 at 07:34 AM.