View Single Post
Old 01-16-22, 12:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Beautiful! I've been going through something very similar. I picked up a 1995 Ultimate on Ebay for $750 but it was a complete bike. Mind you, MOST of the parts had to go! (seller's pic)

Cracked NDS crank, mismatched wheels, corroded seatpost, and that weird riser stem rig. Also the original Chorus brifters had ripped hoods. The decals were incorrect for 1995, and scratched all to hell anyway. BUT, the fork, headset, and bottom bracket are fine, as well as the brakes and FD.

I stripped it down and, like you, buffed it up with red Scotchbrite.

I applied the decal set from Litespeed, and I gotta tell you - that signature decal for the chainstay is a pure PITA.

I replaced the cracked Racing T 170 crankset with a 175 Racing T I had from a previous build, and the Chorus Ergos and RD with a Sachs New Success set, also from that previous build. Put together a wheelset that's actually mismatched but looks matched, new seatpost, new stem, new bars and saddle. Here it is after its first Shakedown Cruise:

But I decided I don't like the triple and I'm going to rebuild it with 7410 Dura Ace, which I had half a kit of and scrounged the rest off Ebay.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: