View Single Post
Old 02-27-22, 12:55 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
Back to bikes... For the TCR 25c is the maximum and that is tight. I do carry the optics on my back, and the tripod on the rack, when I ride the BSO. I would still need to align the telescope every time. It is particularly sensitive. The big hazard here, is if I crash, even at zero speed.

As for the road vs sidewalk, the road is a 55mph highway, going straight out from the city. I would ride on the shoulder at day time, not so sure at midnight.
There is no bike that will allow you to carry the tube safely on the bike, rather than on your back. There will simply be too many jolts, and too much vibration. As for riding on the road at night, I find cars give me a wider berth at night, than they do during the day. I ride with good lights though.

I have wanted to carry one of my telescopes to the observing site on the motorcycle I have with a sidecar. The issue is the vibration and bumps, it rides like a buckboard. Neither of my telescopes could be easily carried on my back. I may try it one day with my Dob, with plenty of cushioning. It is simple and easy to collimate. I probably wouldn't carry my C8 like that though.