Old 03-07-23, 10:24 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Mounting under-BB-shell plastic guides

On a bike where I think I should resort to passing shift cables under the shell, I keep seeing references to "Shimano Bottom Bracket Cable Guide SM-SP17" or equivalent: LINK But I see some come with no hardware, some come with a sheet metal screw (ugh!) and there are references to an M5 bolt. In some instances I've read of an insert that goes inside the shell (I presume designed to stay clear of bearing cups, etc.) And electing a particular model # during searches does not ensure a purchase means one will get anything other than no hardware or the sheet metal screw. OK, time to "make it right". I would imagine am M5 button-head bolt is not all that hard to find (of course, I'll end up with a bag of 25, and thus 24 left over ). So (a) what would the insert look like, is it possible to make one; I'd presume a nut is too small so now we're talking a scrap of metal shaped to fit, and then drilled/tapped, or (b) isn't the BB shell thick enough to drill and tap directly? Or, of course, if someone else makes a better one...