View Single Post
Old 02-19-11, 05:32 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Paint works wonders for adding color.

Now that the novelty of unpainted Ti is wearing off, lots of builders are painting them. Lots of customers too.

Personally, I like the low maintenance aspect of the bare metal. And when I ride mine to work (I work in da 'hood) only my painted bikes attract any attention. My plain, brushed Ti Litespeed is completely off the radar. Put the low maintenance and stealth appearance together along with the corrosion-resistance, and I'm planning for my next commuter to be plain, brushed Ti.

But if you like paint--whether wet or powder--then knock yourself out. It doesn't have to be boy-racer swoopy graphics, if that's not your style. Even a couple of painted panels will perk things up.

EDIT: Dave Anderson, a custom builder in St. Paul, works mainly in 953 stainless, but the same issues apply. It doesn't need paint and lots of them are never painted. He perks them up with painted forks, headtubes and panels.

Other suggestions are colored hubs, rims and tires.

Last edited by tsl; 02-19-11 at 05:47 PM.